Probiotics: Are they legit?
The term “Probiotics” refers to cultured bacteria that pharmaceutical companies and drug manufacturers have leveraged for medical use. Generally speaking, they are harmless, and can even be found in regular foods – like some brands of yogurt and dietary supplements.
The big question in people’s minds is often: Are probiotics legitimate? Let’s explore this question in further detail.
BENEFITS OF PROBIOTICS
These harmless bacteria are often looked upon with suspicion – both by physicians and patients. The truth is that they have been given a bad name by many large pharmaceutical companies that sell competing drugs. On the other hand, probiotic manufacturers have been hyping their products to such an extent, that many believe they are a scam.
The U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA), cautions that probiotics need to be further studied in order to determine their efficacy and usefulness. However, the agency believes that “…over-the-counter probiotics are generally viewed as safe, at least in healthy individuals…”.
In general, probiotics have been proven to:
- Help regenerate the supply of healthy bacteria in the small intestine, which have been lost as a result of heavy use of antibiotics and other drugs
- Be useful to boost the body’s immune system
- Produce great results when used in dietary and health supplements
When used in combination with prescription drugs, probiotics can prove extremely useful to the human body.
PROBIOTIC SUPPLEMENT REVIEWS
So which probiotic supplements are the best, and which ones can you rely upon. Here are our findings:
Culturelle Probiotics Review
Culturelle Probiotics is created from a single bacteria strain called Lactobacillus GG, which is amongst the most widely used and tried/tested strains in the industry today.
- It has 10 billion active strains of Lactobacillus GG
- It is proven to restore a balance between “good” and “bad” bacteria in the intestinal tract
- It works well to reduce digestive upsets and promote long-term digestive health
- It also helps combat irregular bouts of diarrhea, gas and bloating
- It comes in capsule form, and therefore easy to ingest
Unlike many other similar products, Culturelle normally needs only a single capsule every day to be effective, and can be taken by adults and children.
Flora Protect Probiotics Review
Unlike some of its competitors, the manufacturers of Flora Protect do not make tall claims of “evicting” bad bacteria. Instead, they clearly agree that’s not possible. The use of Flora Protect therefore is recommended to help the body keep bad bacteria in check by promoting healthy bacteria.
- It contains 8 billion cells per capsule
- It comprises of a highly potent (for bad bacteria) blend of multiple strains, including Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus , Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus salivarius, Bifidobacterium longum, Streptococcus thermophiles and Bifidobacterium lactis
- The product is manufactured with minimal “added ingredients”, leaving no unnecessary preservatives or additives entering inside your stomach
- It uses a “freeze dry” technique to extend and preserve the life and efficacy of the bacteria until its best-by date
While easy on the body, Flora Protect is also known to contain rice maltodextrin and soy protein, which is certainly welcome news for those fearing allergic reactions or those that are lactose intolerant.
Probium is a great dietary supplement that is ideal for people with allergies looking for such a product. It can be used in tandem with other prescribed drugs with no adverse effect:
- Each serving contains in excess of 12 billion CFU of the company’s proprietary Lactobacillus acidophilus La-14, Bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04, Bifidobacterium bifidum Bb-06 and Bifidobacterium longum Bl-05 strains
- The capsules are kosher certified
- All of the ingredients are non-GMO, non-dairy and gluten free
- Probium capsules also contain FOS and Sunfiber – prebiotics that offer sustenance to good bacteria that are already resident in the gut
A great feature of Probium is that these are veggie-based capsules, so they will appeal to those that follow a strictly vegetarian diet. They also do not contain any salt or other chemical preservatives, which is great for people using other medication, including to control high blood pressure.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Regardless of which probiotics you choose, you need to ensure that they are delivering exactly what you are looking for. Hopefully, the above reviews of some of the most popular probiotics on the market today will help you narrow your search for the ideal supplement for your body.